Today’s decree on Armed Forces personnel cleared the decks on the Air Forces somewhat. The biggest news was the retirement of air defense chief General-Lieutenant Razygrayev. Melnik and Smarshchek were LRA generals.
Relieve and dismiss from military service:
- General-Major Valeriy Alekseyevich Konurkin, Deputy Chief, Air Forces Training Center, “Air Forces Academy.”
- General-Lieutenant Sergey Nikolayevich Razygrayev, Chief, Air Defense, Deputy CINC of the Air Forces for Air Defense.
- General-Lieutenant Khadzhibikar Bamatgireyevich Ukurov, Chief, Military Academy of Aerospace Defense named for Marshal of the Soviet Union G. K. Zhukov.
Dismiss from military service:
- General-Major Leonid Ivanovich Melnik.
- General-Major Nikolay Nikolayevich Smarshchek.